Tuesday, December 3, 2013

SUPER Salad

Have you heard the one about the waitress who asks the main if he wanted "Soup or Salad" and he replies "Yes, I will take the Super Salad." Waitress confused. Man confused. Family laughing. You.... had to be there ;)

Well this, despite my poor anecdote, is truly a SUPER SALAD. It is super easy, super healthy, and super loved! I took it to my family Thanksgiving and they literally scraped the bowl clean, and I think just about every Aunt asked for the recipe. So for all my dear family members or anyone else wanting an awesome, or shall I say Super, salad recipe, here it is...



Ingredients:
Orzo
Walnuts (roast for 5 min at 350)
Feta Cheese
Dried Cranberries
Pomegranate
Kale
Spinach

I used about equal amounts of each item except a little more of the Orzo. This is really a fool proof salad. Just make it to your liking. Don't be afraid to substitute or omit some items. Wild rice could replace the Orzo, dried cherries, Blue cheese, cashews... use what you have on hand!

Dressing:
1/2 cup Onion (chop and sauté)
2 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Tbs. Honey
2 Tbs. Water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 squeeze of lemon or orange

Again, I am no chef but I just estimated these quantities when I made this. So blend all of the dressing ingredients with a food processor, pour over salad, and toss!

You are sure to be the Super Favorite at any family event!!!


Vegetarian
Dairy-free (omit cheese)
Gluten-free (substitute rice for orzo)



1 comment:

  1. YAY! Thanks Rachel! Can't wait to make it (and my family can't wait to eat it!).

    ReplyDelete