Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dinner in the Orient




Most of my ideas start with something small and spiral into something so much bigger. This dinner all started because I had some egg roll wrappers I wanted to use up. As you can see from the pictures, my 2-year old and I pulled off quite the surprise Oriental Dinner for Daddy!



Homemade Egg Rolls:

Brown 1/2 Ib meat (ground sausage or chicken suggested) with small chopped onion. When meat/onion are near done, mix in 1-2 eggs and cook to completion.
     
       *For Vegetarian Friendly option, omit the meat.

Use a food processor to shred carrots and cabbage. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.

Give the meat mixture a couple pulses in the food processor as well and then add directly to the mixing bowl.

Add seasonings to taste.
Suggested:
        1 tsp salt
        1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
        2-4 tsp curry powder

Scoop mixture onto Egg Roll Wrappers, roll, and seal with a dab of water. Deep fry until golden.

Notice my 2-year old did all of the scooping!

Add some Oriental flare to make the dinner extra special.

Our beverage was none other than Young Living's Ningxia Red, as its main ingredient, the Wolf-berry or Goji berry, is grown in China.

Our table settings are compliments of my in-law's wonderful foreign exchange student from Thailand. The table is my daughter's cardboard play box covered in a bed sheet :) Grab some couch pillows and you have dinner in the Orient! 

And, although I couldn't convince my 2-year old to join me, I even dressed up for the occassion!


These dinners are definitely not an everyday thing at our house, but they sure are fun when they spontaneously come about!

No comments:

Post a Comment