Thursday, November 14, 2013

Organic Acorn Squash Soup (Vegetarian Friendly)





As noted in my previous post, we are trying to make the transition to Organic food as much as possible. Inspired by the sign at my local bulk food store that read "Organic Squash," I picked a few up without really having a plan for them. 

After searching some Pinterest recipes, I decided to just go for it and make my own soup "concoction," as my hubby would say. Well, it turned out spectacular, so I thought I would share...

This soup comes together very easily and without much preparation. Once the squash are ready, it is simply a matter of mixing and warming the ingredients.

Ingredients:
2 Organic Acorn Squash
3 tbs butter or olive oil
2 c Organic Broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 c Organic Milk ( I used 1/2 coconut and 1/2 cows)
2-4 c water
1 medium red onion
2 tbs curry powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to heat level)
1/4 tsp nutmeg


Okay, do not be freaked out by the seasonings list... I just dumped a little of this and that to give a nice rich background flavor. If you want to give or take a few, your soup will still turn out yummy! The curry powder and salt are the only two I would not replace.

Halve and clean the squash. Place upright on a baking sheet and spread with 2 tbs butter or oil. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. I did this in the morning, let them cool, and then scooped out of the skins and into the blender. 

Chop and saute the onion in remaining tbs butter/oil. Add to blender. I stored this unblended in my refrigerator until I was actually ready to make dinner, but it can be used immediately as well.

I blended my squash/onion combination in two separate batches. Add the chicken broth and milk to help with the blending process. Any additional thinning can be done with water. Thin soup in blender to your desired consistency. I did mine similar to any cream-based soup. 


Once blended, add directly to a pot and begin warming as you stir in seasonings. Let cook for about 15 minutes and serve! For garnish I added a swirl of organic cream (coconut or cows).

This was my first attempt at making and eating squash soup, but it was a definite hit. Easy prep and a great dinner to warm up with!



No comments:

Post a Comment